Friday, December 4, 2009

I drove through town with the sunroof open, and not a care in the world.
An old mix tape was playing while I hummed along, on and off key.
Not for the first time did I miss you.
I wandered around campus, found a bench with my name on it, and pulled on some woolen gloves. With my headphones in place, and Siddhartha in hand, I wasted time.
My IV ran in while Bailey explored the vast land of Back Yard, and I sipped a cup of tea. The sun was bright, so I wore my 'vintage' shades and imagined living in the '60s.
I styled my hair for a trip to the hospital, only to find myself in the Cancer Center Infusion Suite. A young man sat across from me with his eyes closed, and his fingers tapping on the edge of a chair, in tune to whatever song was playing on his ipod. A quick needle change and I was out, back to my car, with the open sunroof, and sunglasses perched on my nose.
I wished you were here.
Maneuvering through downtown traffic, I got lost and had to retrace my steps, only to find myself heading the wrong way. Thank goodness for iced tea and good tunes.
Finally at home, I cracked open my books and studied up on viruses. Retroviruses, DNA viruses, proviruses. Viruses that cause cancer or unwanted lesions, and those that are fatal. Vericella/Zoster viruses. HIV/AIDS. Round and round I went. Viruses this. Viruses that. I took a much needed break.
Another IV, a four hour one this time, so I cozied up on the couch and uploaded photos. Photos of a hike in the woods, and of Halloween fun. Of '20s folk, and ninja assassins, and nurses with wolf faces.
Now it's Friday night and after such a full day I realize that this evening should be spent doing just this.
Dreaming of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment